Sunday, January 7

A great resolution

I've been going over in my head what I think is a great resolution to go with this year. Normally I don't like resolutions because I can never keep one. So, I wanted to do something that I really wanted to work on and something that I want keep for the rest of my life. I am going to lose weight. Ha! kidding. Everyone choses that and I'm not. Not that I don't want to lose weight and not that I won't try, but that's not it.

While I was at church today I heard something that hit me really hard. A lady was giving an analogy and it went something like this:

When my dad was a kid, he grew up on a farm. One of their favorite games was to take their b.b.guns and go out and shoot at goats. What happens is when you shoot the goat with a b.b. it shocks them, and they will walk up to the nearest goat next to him and kick him. The goat could be 10 feet away by himself and he will still find the nearest goat and kick him. They thought it was the funniest thing watching the goats kick each other.

I can see how it would be funny.

Then she applied it to life. And when something shoots (shoots = anything that is affecting her), she takes it out on those the closest to her. Her kids or her husband. She's just like the goat and will kick just kick.

I hope that makes sense to you. It all makes sense in my head. The point is, is that I can see myself doing the exact same thing. When I get irritated, when something is bothering me. When I get "shot", I tend to take it out on those closest to me. I get upset at the kids. I get frusterated with things that Stuart does. I take it out on those closest to me and they don't deserve it.

I am definatly going to be better at this. When I start to "kick", I am going to remember the goats and I am going to try my best not to take it out on those I love the most. I can see how it will make things better around my house and with my little family.

1 intellectual comments made by others:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.