Friday, August 25

Happy Birthday To Me

(written night before)

I've been wishing all week that this day wouldn't get here. I am really not in the mood to celebrate this day this year. I have been hoping that I could just skip this day all together and pretend that it doesn't exist.

Every year I always build myself up thinking that this will be the year that i'll get a good birthday. I'll get just what I want. And every year I am disappointed. I don't know why I do this. Maybe it is a girl thing. I just always set myself up for disappointment. So, i've totally walked into this one with absolutely NO expectations.

The only thing I am hoping for I *know* I will get. That is for my beautiful, caring, wonderful little girls to run into my room in the morning after i've gotten to sleep in a little and sing me Happy Birthday and give me home-made cards. Stuart is always good about having them draw me a picture and make it into a card for my birthday. Those are the things that I cherish the most. The rest is just superficial stuff, but come on....what woman doesn't WANT
superficial stuff on her birthday?

I want my tiara AND a cake.

I want to be princess for a day.

I want a camera!!!! (insert crying, stomping tantrum here)

Sigh, but tomorrow WILL come. I'll have to go through the day with a smile on my face. I'll have to pretend even if it is just for my kids that I am happy.

Maybe I will be surprised........

Okay, even though I wished the day away, it didn't happen. The day is here wether I like it or not.

I got to sleep in, but I couldn't sleep. I didn't sleep all night. I wished for it, but it didn't happen. I'm tired. The family came in with breakfast (toast, fresh fruit and juice) They sang me Happy Birthday. Nothing is cuter then your 2 year old singing "Hatty Birthday". I got home made cards that were the best!!

I am now on my way to a baby shower, but i'll update the rest of my day tonight.

The rest of the day turned out okay. I got a nap, but with how bad I have been sleeping lately, it was a bad nap, but one none the less. Then we all got ready and went to dinner at Chili's with Stuarts family. Dinner was pretty yummy and the kids behaved good enough that I wasn't extreemly embarrassed to be seen with them in public. Then we rented movies and came home. The girls stayed up with us (Stuarts brother and friend came back with us) and we watched The Benchwarmers. It is a great movie. It was rather stupid, but we all laughed the whole way through, that is what made it great. We also rented Failure to Launch. Haven't watched it yet.

My friend sent me a package with a book and a movie and that made my day!! (Thanks Robin!!!)

So, all in all it turned out ok.

7 intellectual comments made by others:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Colleen, thank you for your kind comment on my blog, I so appreciate it (comments are like my crack!). And now I find your cool-looking blog to read, it's win-win!
-AIS

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy belated Birthday!

Karen said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope it was happy! Did you get a camera? If not, I think you should just go buy one yourself. That's my solution to dilemmas like that. ;)

Colleen said...

Ha! No, no camera. Only because the one I want is 1k. That is not something I can just go and buy. HAHA. Soon though. Thanks for the comments guys!

Karen said...

Nevermind -- I wouldn't buy that one for myself, either! LOL

Jeanie said...

Okay this is probably the 10th comment I've left you today (sorry, catching up with all your blogs) but I wanted to tell you that I am glad you were able to go to the Counting Crows concert and had such a great time, because it sounds like you were pretty sad on your birthday. I hope that made up for it!