Tuesday, August 22

A letter to my son

Dear Jack,

How did these last 6 months pass us by so quickly? It seems like just yesterday I was holding you in my arms in the hospital. Looking into you great big eyes marveling over the fact that I had a baby boy. A boy! I had no clue what to do with you. I had forgotten what it was like to hold a little baby. I thought I would break you. You took to eating like a pro only hours after you were born. While in the hospital they brought you in to eat in the middle of the night. I sat there and fed you while tears ran down my face. It was at that moment that I fell in love with you. I softly whispered to you that I was your mommy and that I would love you your whole life and be there for you.

The first 2 months you gave me loads of trouble little man. I didn't care for that one bit! I will continue to remind you of that frequently over the course of your life. For weeks you cried all night long. We finally figured out that you had reflux and that you got sick whenever I ate dairy. Sorry about that. I've quit now and your better. Don't hold it against me. After we got that under control you became a dream - well, during the day anyways. You started to be a happy baby, smiling, laughing and enjoying life!

The first think I want to talk to you about is your sleeping habits. Especially in the middle of night sleeping habits. Frankly, they stink. You may think it's cute to wake me up 5 times a night, but dear boy, it's not. Not even a little bit. Your 6 months now, it's time for you to start sleeping more mmmk? How about we make a deal. You start sleeping more. I'll even let you wake up once a night (see how nice I am?!?!). Now you ask me what you'll get out if it? How about extra hugs and kisses in the morning. See - a win win situation! What? That's not good enough? *sigh* FINE! How about some more toy cars? What? You'll think about it? I guess I'll take it, we'll discuss this again, believe you me!

I love that you are getting more active. You have figured out that you can roll across the room. You scoot backwards very well and have almost figured out how to scoot forward. Not crawling, but scooting. You are also pulling up your knees into the crawling position. I'm not ready for that yet. Can you hold off for just a little while?? Your exersaucer gets alot of use these days. Whenever I am sick of holding you needing to get stuff done, you will stay happy in there for hours at least 15 minutes. Which everyone knows how much you can get done in 15 minutes when your on a mission! Your favorite thing right now is to jump in the johnny jumper and boy do you get that thing going! I've never seen a kid jump so much!

It looks like you are just about to get your first tooth. This past week you have been a cranky one, but I understand. It hurts. I'll make sure to help out as much as I can. I'll give you orajel and I'll keep your teething rings cold k? I can't wait to see what you look like with teeth!

You eat like a champ, at least that is what everyone tells me. Even people we don't know will tell me that you get enough to eat. You've started on solid food and so far you have liked everything except for prunes, not that I can blame you. You threw up all day after those. We try new things often and so far you haven't refused anything. Keep it up.

Next week you will go in for your 6 month check up. I have to apologize in advance for it. They are going to give you shots. It can't be helped. It will only hurt for a second though. By the time we get home you wont even remember - hopefully. Please don't be mad at me k? I will give you extra love for the rest of that day. I'm sure the dr will also tell me that you get enough to eat. People just can't resist telling us that. I'm betting that you are at least 20lbs. No, you can NOT turn around your carseat, don't even ask.

And by the way, your sisters do love you no matter how many times they yell "BOOGADEE BOO!!!" in your face.

Jack, I love you with all my heart. I am so happy that you came to live with us. I am so grateful to have you as my son. I have a huge soft spot for you. Enjoy it while it lasts. Over time the soft spot hardens, just ask your sisters. I get mean. (ha-ha, as if.) I am looking forward to the next 6 months. To be able to watch you learn new things and grow even bigger. The only thing I ask of you is to sleep more, k?

Love you son,

Your mommy

Here is a video of Jack jumping in the Johnny Jumper. It's not the best quality, but photobucket is about the best I can do.

2 intellectual comments made by others:

Karen said...

What a sweet letter. And he has just about the cutest little chubby legs I've ever seen! (My kids enjoyed watching him jump, too!)

Twisted Cinderella said...

What a wonderful letter. And he is about the cutest little guy I have ever seen.

Btw, everyone is welcome to do the thursday thirteen, You can click the link on the bottom of my page if you want to get the code to change the color of your page, or you can just leave a comment to let others know you are doing it. I love doing them, it is a lot of fun.