Wednesday, April 9

Weight Watchers Wednesday

I think I'll probably be doing a post every Wednesday with my Weight Watchers updates since today is the day that I weigh in.

Over the last 2 weeks, I think that I have learned quite a bit. First, I've really been more aware at how much food I have actually been eating on a daily basis. The way Weight Watchers works is very simple. There are certain things about you that go into account for how many points you are allotted in one day. You take your age, weight, daily activity level, height and you come out with a point number. My number is 25. I can earn more points in a day by exercising. If your on the flex plan, then you get an extra 35 to use over the coarse of the week. Sounds a bit complicated huh? It isn't really. I am just not very good at explaining. On to what i've learned in this process. I have been eating way to much. Inside my head, I think that i've always known that I have been eating to much and needed to work on portion control and yada yada yada, but i've never actually sat down and took the time to figure it out. Remember the saying "knowing is half the battle", that is SO true. So true. Knowing just how much I have been eating and being able to figure it out is huge. Last week just by doing portion control and staying on my points I lost 5 pounds!

Unfortunatly, this week I didn't have as much success. In fact, I didn't have any success at all. I accept 100% responsibility on that one. This past weekend we had alot going on; a baby shower and 2 bbqs over General Conference. So, food was just there, ready to eat and calling my name. Old habits die really hard and I couldn't resist all that yummy food. I ended up gaining a pound this week. BLAH! I hate it. I hated going in to the meeting and being accountable for that gain. Hate it!

The thing that means the most to me right now is the fact that I KNOW that I am not going to give up. In the past I probably would have said "this sucks. I can't do it. I quit." I am not going to do that this time. I'm getting right back up on that horse, well, maybe the treadmill and working through it. I am not going to see another gain. I am not even going to see me at netural. I am going to see a LOSS!

I am also really thankful that I've got friends that are on the program right now too. My best friend in Utah (Hi Robin!) is doing it too. It is so fun to be able to talk to her about it on a daily basis and encourage each other even though we are over a thousand miles away. Then 3 of my friends from the ward signed up this week too, so I know that there will be more emotional support there. I am a firm believer that when you have a support system helping you out, you will do better!

Oh, and I have to say that I love the meetings!! When I first went, I had no idea what to expect. None. I was actually really nervous to go. You know what though, I had nothing to worry about. The people in there were just like me. Women (and 1 man) that were there for the very same purpose, to lose weight, to feel better about themselves, to have support from others. They were all sitting there with most likely my same insecurites about their bodies. It was awesome. It felt impowering just to sit with them and hear about their successes. It was and is so worth my time and money to go just for that. It is awesome.

I guess your all probably tired of me carrying on and on about it, so i'll close for now. Look for my next Wednesday update to see how big I lose this week!

4 intellectual comments made by others:

The Five that Jive said...

At least you're still at a loss though!! I'm so proud of you for doing this. I really have been struggling with my weight...and I'm finally starting to take some control back. I have the weight watchers thingey that tracks how many points you're eating. I need to pull it out and use it. I think you're so right about the emotional support..you have to have that in order to lose. Good luck! Keep up the good work.
Lindsey J

Lyndsee Bates said...

I am SOO sorry I didn't eat more of your chocolate covered strawberries!!! I did save you from one though!!! I am excited to see how it goes for you!! I know you'll do great!!!

Heather Guymon said...

You are so inspiring girl! Keep up the GREAT work! There will be ups and downs...the weight gain, be it just one pound, seems like such a loss but over all its NOT! I already feel so much better about myself knowing I am taking the steps now...it really helps my motivation!

Monson Family said...

Yeah Colleen!!! I am so excited that we are all doing this together! It is so nice to have eachother's backs! ;) You are doing great and pretty soon we will all be even hotter than we are now, I know, hard to believe! :)