Monday, September 11

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown


This is by far the BEST book that I have ever read. Period. I am so glad that I had read it AFTER reading the DaVinci Code because it was SO much better. I think if I would have read it first, I wouldn't have ended up liking the DaVinci Code as much as I did.

I loved Robert Langdon's character in this book. It was interesting to see his battle within himself as the story unfolded. His love for religious symbology kept him going through each senerio even though it was difficult for him. It was neat to see him be able to experience things that in life he's always wanted to do.

I really like this piece of an editorial review listed on amazon.com:

It takes guts to write a novel that combines an ancient secret brotherhood, the Swiss Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, a papal conclave, mysterious ambigrams, a plot against the Vatican, a mad scientist in a wheelchair, particles of antimatter, jets that can travel 15,000 miles per hour, crafty assassins, a beautiful Italian physicist, and a Harvard professor of religious iconology. It takes talent to make that novel anything but ridiculous.
......

Brown seems as much juggler as author--there are lots and lots of balls in the air in this novel, yet Brown manages to hurl the reader headlong into an almost surreal suspension of disbelief. While the reader might wish for a little more sardonic humor from Langdon, and a little less bombastic philosophizing on the eternal conflict between religion and science, these are less fatal flaws than niggling annoyances--readers should have no trouble skimming past them and immersing themselves in a heck of a good read. "Brain candy" it may be, but my! It's tasty.


I am so not good at this review thing, although I will keep at it, because one day I might be able to write these really good reviews that people oooh and aaah over. Pratice makes perfect right?

But back to the subject. I know I said it before, but I will say it again. Best book ever. I would really recommend reading the special illustrated version of this book. I was fun to read it and see the pictures of things he was talking about. The locations of the different places in the Vatacin. Pictures of things that I had no idea even exsisted.

Mostly, I love that this book contained so much factual history. Reading about the different locations, the descriptions of the Catholic church and how they felt about religion vs. science.

All I can say is WOW! and uh, Read it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other book reviews by me:

Shophie Kinsella - The Undomestic Goddess
Khaled Hosseini - The Kite Runner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have books you want to swap? Go to Frugal Reader and tell them I sent you.

6 intellectual comments made by others:

Anonymous said...

I love all of Dan Brown's books. I never saw the illustrated one so I may have to check it out. I also read all of Kinsella's books. They are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I love all of dan browns books. he rocks as an author and I cant wait for him to release another. No word about it down here in Aus. Hope he does release one soon.

Sophie Kinsella - BEST CHICK AUTHOR!! - Ive read a couple of her books and man she is great!

Great review hunny!

Colleen said...

I have read most of Sophie Kinsellas books. Can you keep a secret is the only one I haven't read. I love her writing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://meivdngn.com/jvyh/sqtr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://yxudyyfx.com/lpqf/efdl.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://meivdngn.com/jvyh/sqtr.html | http://yzmcixyn.com/ezwa/urmt.html